Listening and Communication Enhancement
Once you start to wear hearing aids, weâll help you to learn to listen, communicate and understand what your ears are hearing. This is an important step that shouldnât be missed because hearing loss â and possibly the natural aging process â would have damaged your ability to listen.
So although your hearing aids are able to detect and amplify sounds, your brain isnât trained to memorise and understand what youâre hearing.
Itâs very much like the saying: âIt goes in one ear and out of the otherâ.
Your auditory training for improved listening
To help you train your ear-to-brain muscle memory, we offer a self-paced adaptive auditory training program â the Listening and Communication Enhancement program which can be used at home.Itâs the worldâs leading auditory training program and is designed to improve your ability to listen and communicate. It does for your ears and brain what exercise machines does for the body. Youâll overcome five listening key challenges through a number of degraded speech and cognitive tasks. Youâll work on:
- listening in noisy environments
- learning to understand people who speak fast
- focusing on listening to one person at a time
- using your memory to guess words you miss in conversations
- remembering what youâve heard so you can predict the next sentence
The program was developed by two leading audiologists at the University of California in San Francisco to make high-quality auditory training programs available in the home. Studies suggest LACE can improve your brainâs ability to understand speech by up to 40%.
Who you should use LACE
The program is mostly used by:
- Hearing-impaired individuals when adjusting to new hearing aids
- Anyone recently diagnosed with hearing loss and who must wear hearing aids
- People with ânormalâ hearing levels who are poor listeners
- Anyone diagnosed with Auditory Processing Disorder
How the auditory training program works
LACE is quite easy to use and will provide you with daily and weekly summary and regular feedback. These make it possible for you to track and evaluate your progress in a format thatâs very easy to understand.
LACE is prescribed as a treatment to rehabilitate or support your hearing or listening loss. As itâs a treatment, a certified LACE professional will support you throughout your program.
This will be with the LACE professional. Theyâll take you through a short introductory lesson so you can understand the system.
LACE is available via:
- Adaptive cloud-based version: Compatible with modern browsers (HTML5, no flash) on Windows and Mac, and iPad and Android devices. Requires high-speed internet connection.
- Interactive CD-ROM version: Compatible with Windows XP, Vista, Win 7, Mac OS X 10.4 and above. Requires a CD drive and high-speed internet connection.
- DVD version: Compatible with all DVD players. Requires a remote for navigation.
We recommend external speakers to make the sound more realistic.
Each session lasts approximately 30 minutes and can be done at home.
We recommend 20 monthly sessions. Thatâs 30-minutes per day, five days a week, for four weeks.
How to get started
You can contact us at the Art Of Hearing on (08) 93908811 or book your FREE appointment with an audiologist who will explain more about the LACE program. You may require a hearing test before you begin the program.